A Cheat Sheet for the Undecided
September 14, 2021 is the day California voters decide the fate of Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom in a special recall election, only the fourth ever held in the US. Absentee ballots were due out by August 16. If you’re not sure what this recall election is all about, or whether you should vote for or against keeping him in office, Represent San Diego has put together this quick reference to provide you with the information you need to make a decision.
The Big Picture
The following articles provide an overview of the recall election process and the history of recall elections in California. Start here to find out why California has recall elections and how they work.
- The California Recall, Untangled [New York Times (paywall)]
- 2021 California Gubernatorial Recall Election [Wikipedia]
- Why Do We Have Recalls? Thank Los Angeles [New York Times (paywall)]
- Recalling a California Governor, Explained [CalMatters]
Pros and Cons
The reasons for and against recalling Gavin Newsom.
- Newsom Has Strong Support in Latest California Recall Survey [Politico PRO]
- Top 10 Reasons to Recall Gavin Newsom [Jenny Rae for Governor]
- Why Vote NO on the Recall of California Gov. Gavin Newsom [People’s World]
- The Trouble with the Gavin Newsom Recall [The Atlantic]
- 13 Reasons to Recall Gavin Newsom [Rescue California]
Frequently Asked Questions
- California Gubernatorial Recall Election – Frequently Asked Questions [California Secretary of State]
The Alternatives to Newsom
Who can you vote for to replace Newsom? Whether you vote for or against the recall, you can also choose an alternate candidate. There are quite a few.
- Gavin Newsom recall, Governor of California (2019-2021) [BallotPedia]
Follow the Money
Who is putting their money where their mouth is in the recall? There’s plenty on both sides.
- Track the Millions Funding the Campaign to Recall California’s Governor [Los Angeles Times]
What the Polls Say
- Gavin Newsom Has Reason To Worry [FiveThirtyEight]
The Potential Consequences
If Newsom is recalled, what then? The results could be felt nationwide.
- Democrats Confront A Nightmare Scenario in California Recall [Washington Post (paywall)]
- The Surprise Democrat Who Could Win California’s Recall Election [Independent Voter News]
Is the Recall Election Unconstitutional?
- There Is a Problem With California’s Recall. It’s Unconstitutional. [New York Times (paywall)]
History of Recalls in California
Who has been recalled in the past, when and with what result.
Recall History in California (1913 to Present) [California Secretary of State]